Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Scrimshaw Rum Cup / Rum Horn "White Buffalo"

I had the great honor of having my very first lesson in scrimshaw from a very well known scrimshaw artist, Glenn Swanson.  Now, this is my very first attempt so I obviously need a LOT more practice but I am so thrilled to have sat down and 'scratched' with such a great artist. 

My first attempt is a scrimshaw rum cup or rum horn.  My "White Buffalo" is simple, but remember, I have never tried this before.  On the front of the rum horn is the white buffalo.


 On the back is a woman with her baby, and far in the distance are the buffalo roaming in the fields.
The idea of the rum cup/horn is that you tie a string on the pins/staples and hang it around your neck.  You fill the horn with rum.  Pull out the plug at the top, place your finger over the hole.  Then pull the second plug, holding it over your mouth.   When you are ready for a drink, remove your finger from the upper hole....replacing your finger when you have a mouth full.
Well, I found that I absolutely loved this new form of art.  I will be trying my hand more at this so I can become better at the art.  It is not easy, you can only work for a short bit of time as your hands get use to the pressure needed to do the work. 

All my scrimshaw is hand done making them one of a kind.
Price:  $250
Email me with any inquiries:
directzee@hotmail.com
Thanks for looking, and keep creating!!

No comments: